What is the Comparison between Online UPS and Lift Inverter/Lift UPS/ERD? When installing a power backup for the lifts and escalators, there is always a suggestion to install the Online UPS as people feel that there is a switching time to remove when the power goes and come back. So here we have made a technical comparison of how the Online UPS and Lift Inverter/ERD technology is different from each other in the case of installing the backup for the lifts.https://techbullion.com/what-makes-erd-ups-better-than-online-ups/ We at Su-vastika filed 3 Technology patents and got one patent because we worked on the lift backup technology and kept improving the lift backups.https://suvastika.com/whats-lift-inverter-and-compare-with-lift-ups/
- The Online UPS is designed for computer, and IT loads as the load is almost fixed, so they get very high efficiency. In contrast, the 3-phase Induction motors used in lifts have a varying load as the load varies when the lift moves in upward and downward conditions, so the load varies drastically. Hence, the power factor in the online UPS varies, which creates a big electricity bill for the online UPS as well the battery life is reduced since the battery is always functional in the case of Online UPS.
- Especially the High-Frequency triple conversion online UPS has a big electricity consumption in case they are used in lifts. Since there is no isolation transformer, they are prone to high failure as the induction motor creates a lot of jerks, spikes, and surges, which the three-phase triple conversion technology can’t handle without the isolation transformer.
- The backup time with the same battery bank will be lower than the Lift Inverter/ERD as the inverter efficiency is very high, even if the load varies from 10% to 100%. In contrast, the Online UPS efficiency depends on the percentage of load percentage.
- The online UPS converts the power from the AC to DC and again to AC power which needs constant consumption of power as the power conversion creates losses also; at the same time, it charges and discharges batteries, whereas the Lift Inverter/ERD is only using the power, for charging from the ERD and once the battery is charged it stops so after that no power is being consumed.
- The Lift Inverter/ERD only activates in the battery mode when the power goes. Still, the Online UPS always consumes power through the mains and batteries to regulate the power to make it a constant voltage not required by the lifts.
- The switching time in the Lift Inverter/ERD is less than three milliseconds, which is enough to take the lift load without any jerk, a patented technology developed by Su-vastika in India.
- Since the lifts don’t have any jerks etc. so the ECU is connected through the RS485 at the back of the ERD system and which gives a signal inside the lifts to tell the passenger travelling in the lift whether he is using mains power or battery power and in case of the low battery of lift the lifts are stopped at a floor. Doors are being opened, and lifts don’t work after that.
- The ERD technology has the future capability of solar compatibility as the external solar charge controller can be added to the ERD system, which will allow the normal ERD backup system to solar based ERD system which can run the lifts and elevators completely on the solar power and save the substantial power bills.
- The most crucial point is online UPS is designed for 180-265 Volts, so the moment the voltage reduces by 180 V, the battery is being used for the back. In that case, the battery is mostly used for stabilizing the voltage, and when the electric cut takes place, there is hardly any back left. Also, 265 Volts is very common in India, so the battery will mostly be used for this purpose rather than for power cuts.
- The companies design lifts on 3 phase, which has a wide voltage range and can work on the voltage range of 370-450Volts which is a range under which it works properly, whereas the Online UPS range for 3 phase has a limited voltage range and always try to give 220V+/- 1%, which is not required by the lifts and Escalators. The power consumption from the grid and the battery are required to make this voltage, which creates extra power bills and reduces the battery life; when we make the comparison between Online UPS and the Lift Inverter/Lift UPS/ERD, then we realize that they are not comparable at all.
11. The Lift Inverter/ERD can be run on a Lithium battery to increase the life of the Lift Inverter/ERD. Online UPS works on Lead acid-based SMF or Tubular batteries. The space taken by the Lithium and SMF batteries and the life and weight comparison is impossible.
12. The Lift Inverter/ERD designed by Su-vastika can monitor and control the ERD through the IOT devices like GSM and Wi-Fi having the mobile application. We can see all the parameters, like voltages in all three phases and the load on all three phases etc.
13. Digital Warranty Online UPS does not have the Digital Warranty. Generally, it comes with one year warranty where. In contrast, we at Su-vastika have a Digital warranty in all our product ranges and offer a two-year warranty without any warranty card as the product has a built Digital warranty clock.
Conclusion: The Comparison between Online UPS and Lift Inverter/Lift UPS/ERD clearly shows that Online UPS is not meant to carry backups.