The Energy Storage System (ESS), or Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) with Lithium ion Battery, developed by Su-vastika, is a High Capacity/Heavy load UPS with rechargeable Lithium battery system that stores energy from the electric grid or any renewable energy source and returns that energy when needed.
The primary component of an ESS is a LiFEPO4-based battery. Su-vastika has designed ESS with high powered Lithium Ion batteries being developed by Su-vastika to offer an uninterrupted power supply with reduced charging time and higher efficiency. Battery ESS comes with Pure Sinewave technology.
Su-vastika uses advanced Static switches in its ESS that reduce switching time to less than three milliseconds, which is fast enough to prevent a computer and most sensitive equipment from resetting which offers an uninterrupted power back up to customers. Because of its strong R&D and the experience of its able Mentor, Su-vastika understands the power backup needs of its customers across industries.
Most importantly, it’s our Patent Technology as well.
At Su-vastika, we have a complete range in Battery ESS 3P-3P up to 5KVA. ESS is capable to run all kinds of load of Big Factories/Plants, Large hospitals, Universities, Large warehouses, Showrooms, Multiple Apartments, Shopping Malls/complexes, Farmhouses, Commercial establishments, Schools/Universities, Large Hotels, and more.
Infact, any load that can run on Diesel Generator can run on Battery Energy Storage System (BESS). The best part is we can customised Battery ESS-based power backup solutions based on individual needs. This can also run for a short duration, especially for generators where people want uninterrupted power during a power failure. This can work between the Grid and generators, and there will be no switching time.
Su-vastika Heavy Duty ESS with Lithium ion Battery is based on IGBT based Technology
IGBT, or insulated gate bipolar transistor, is a power semiconductor device used in various applications, including industrial UPS. IGBTs offer several advantages over other types of power devices, including:
- High efficiency: IGBTs can be switched quickly, leading to lower losses and higher efficiency.
- Fast switching: IGBTs can switch on and off very quickly, which makes them suitable for high-frequency applications.
- Wide input voltage range: IGBTs can operate over a wide input voltage range, making them suitable for various industrial applications.
- Rugged construction: IGBTs are typically very powerful and can withstand harsh environments.
|Diesel Generator||Battery Energy Storage System|
|More Space is required for the installation||Compact Size. Less Space Required.|
|Attendant required for operation||No attendant is required to operate|
|Fire hazard. Required installation away from the point of use||Lithium battery storage means no fire hazard|
|Causes pollution due to the use of fossil fuel||No Pollution|
|Extremely high noise pollution||No Noise|
|2-3 min switching time||2-5 millisecond switching time|
|Higher maintenance costs in the long run because of many moving parts and wear and tear.||Zero maintenance cost|
|Lifespan 10 years||Lifespan 50 years|
|Cannot store electricity||Stores electricity|
|Higher running costs because of ever-increasing fuel prices||Running cost is affordable|
|Not compatible with Solar panel||Compatible with Solar panels, which further reduces the price while using sustainable, renewable sources of green energy|
|The inconvenience of storing and replenishing fuel||No concerns related to fuel|
Maintenance in Diesel generators is very high, like every 300 hours. Generators need care and filling the Diesel from time to time and storing the fuel and getting the fuel all are very tough issues in the case of Diesel generators.
The Diesel Generators have moving parts, and to auto start, they need a battery itself, so the DG set’s service is required every 300 hours. Filling Diesel and maintaining a DG set, we need an attendant, as the maintenance of the BESS is hardly any issue since it has no moving parts compared to the DG set; no attendant is required.
The BESS with Lithium ion Battery is designed to require no maintenance. However, at Su-vastika, we provide services to keep your products in top-notch condition: Our systems have an online monitoring feature (Optional) and GSM and WIFI compatible applications that monitor the BESS and battery life. In case of any issues, alerts will be sent automatically, and the stored data can be checked on the display of the BESS. We are training a Certified Electrician at your site for emergency breakdowns only. There is no maintenance required in BESS.
That’s right, once installed, these inverters can guarantee a hassle-free experience and smooth power supply.
Battery Energy Storage System (ESS) provides instant power backup.
One of the critical advantages of ESS is that the DG sets break if there is a power cut, but it doesn’t happen with ESS. This technology works on minimal switching time 2 ms to 5 m, hence starts instantaneously without any interruption due to its least switching time. While DG sets take almost a minute to restart the power through the generator, ESS is automatic and seamless.
Su-vastika ESS comes with Isolation Transformer which is the most important parameter when it comes to be weak neutral or weak ground. All the developing countries have the major problem of weak Neutral and Voltage variations and spike and surges which are absorbed by the Isolation transformer but in High Frequency Inverter without Isolation Transformer, the failure start happening in these conditions.
Isolation Transformer makes Su-vastiks BESS Powerful enough to protect and support large commercial and industrial establishments.
In Su-vastika Battery ESS, we have added a special overload feature. In case of overload running, it will take overload protection and start giving beeps to let know the customer of overload situation. Meanwhile, it will take 3 Retries to keep the UPS running till the time customer can reduce the load so that there is no sudden darkness in the house/office.
Our UPS also has a feature of short circuit protection. With this feature, in situation of Short circuit, our ESS will take short circuit protection and start giving beeps to let know the customer of short circuit and shut down the UPS and will automatically get on 1 time. In this process, our UPS will check whether the condition of the short circuit has been eliminated or not. If the short circuit has been eliminated, the UPS will start working normally. If the short circuit has been not eliminated, the UPS will go in shut down mode and will have to restart from front switch
The BESS can work smoothly for 50 years with very little maintenance. On the other hand, because of its moving parts, the Generator has a life span of only ten years and requires regular maintenance on an average of 250Hrs-500Hrs.
The Diesel Generator has a life of 10 years, after which the maintenance cost becomes very high compared to BESS, which has 50 years of lifespan, and the battery can last from 7 to 10 years of life which is a considerable saving in terms of running cost.
Because of its long life, ESS is more cost-efficient and easy to maintain for a long time, which is crucial for giving complete peace of mind
It is important to note that the cost of running a Diesel set is 3 times or more than 3 times the power supplied by the Power utility, making BESS a unique and cheaper solution compared to running the diesel Generator cost. Over five years, compared to the DG set, ESS saves about 35% of running costs.
As the BESS has the battery as a backup, the consumption per unit of power delivered is further reduced in case of 50 per cent loading or 70 per cent of the BESS. In contrast, in the Diesel Generators, the cost doesn’t impact in case the load is reduced as the diesel consumption doesn’t vary much in case of reduction of load.
The cost advantage of ESS over DG Sets.
- Running Cost: The ESS runs on batteries while the generator runs on diesel. If used for the same number of hours/day in a year, the generator’s cost is almost six times more than the ESS!
- Maintenance Cost: The ESS running on Lithium batteries requires almost no maintenance compared to generators which require maintenance every 300 running hours by trained technicians.
- Manual Effort: Having trained technicians to carry out regular maintenance every 300 hours further increases the generator’s cost. On the other hand, the ESS has mandatory checks by service engineers just once in six months.
Given the costs associated with running a Diesel Generator and adding the factor of rising fuel prices, ESS has proven to save up to 35% in electricity costs in 5 years.
DG sets emit harmful particles into the atmosphere, significantly reducing air quality in the surrounding area.
Some of the pollutants that DG sets emit include:
- Carbon dioxide
- Carbon monoxide
- Nitrogen oxides (NOx)
- Particulate matter (PM2.5 and PM 10)
- in addition to causing noise pollution.
Each litre of fuel burned in a DG set produces 0.73 kg pure carbon and 2.6 kg CO2.
For Example:- A 500kVA DG set consumes approximately 100 litre of diesel per hour. If it runs for 5 hours per day for a month, it releases 39,000 kg of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.
In any establishment, there are costly, sensitive devices that cannot withstand sudden fluctuations in voltage. The problem is that most power backup systems allow a sudden rush of current and cannot protect the devices from the influx of current during voltage fluctuations.
Our ESS will not just keep your sensitive appliances safe, but it will actively protect them as well. Unlike traditional inverters, which allow a sudden inrush of current, which can be harmful to your machinery, our ESS gives power when the appliances are started for the first time. It gives voltage gradually so that your sensitive devices don’t get any jerk voltage or spikes. Switching time is so quick that the equipment will not stop if the mains power is disconnected. The soft start system increases and maintains the life of the appliances.
Whenever, there is a Low Supply voltage or High Supply voltage, and the supply rises or drops below the Safe voltage range, Our ESS seamlessly switches to the battery power, keeping all your machinery and equipment safe. Moreover, the power quality produced in Battery Mode is better than the power quality provided by the electricity distribution companies or by the government as our ESS provides Pure Sine Wave output having THD ≤5%, which is a far better quality power compared to generators.
Whether the power fails, the voltage falls below the safety limit, or the voltage increases beyond safety limits, the ESS works automatically without any manual intervention.
Generators are notorious for being noisy and causing a lot of pollution due to diesel usage. It tends to cause vibrations in the building if they are kept inside or on the top floor of the building.
Our BESS works on batteries, has a smooth, noiseless operation, and is entirely pollution-free, having no vibrations.
Using an energy storage system with an existing generator give plenty of flexibility, especially at the initial stage of making a switch.
Why is it important?
- Su-vastika has designed ESS to work with the Generator in several ways:
- As a secondary power backup source or the areas where mains are not available. The Generator can be installed at the back of the Heavy-Duty ESS. Our Artificial Intelligence (AI) based software will automatically switch the generator ON in case of low battery. This allows you to keep your devices running on the generator while the ESS charges simultaneously.
- As a power supply to charge batteries. Our ESS can withstand a generator’s uneven power supply and convert this power to a healthy, regulated power supply that charges your batteries.
- As a temporary power backup source. In the rare case of a complete battery discharge during a power outage, our Artificial Intelligence (AI) based software will automatically put your load onto the generator with zero switch-over time, bypassing the inverter temporarily and allowing your existing generator to act as an extra backup source. The bypass is so fast you won’t even notice!
- There are few remote areas around the world where no grid supply is available at all hence there is a requirement for two generators as one generator can work continuously for 8 hours only, after which it needs rest, so the combination of ESS along with the generator is an ideal combination as the battery charging can happen while the generator is working and the generator load will shift for one to two hours on the ESS after which generator can start again. This way, one more generator in parallel can be saved.
Installation of a power backup system is just the beginning. There are several costs associated with it when it comes to maintaining and running the system.
The initial machinery investment for BESS and generators is almost the same. However, there is a significant difference in running cost, maintenance cost & effort.
The infrastructure required for ESS depends on the type of battery being used and its capacity. Smaller backup load requirements will require smaller spaces.
- Sufficient ventilation for heat dissipation is needed for Lead Acid Batteries.
- There are no special requirements for Lithium batteries.
The optimum temperature for all batteries is 40°C to 50°C. However, they can also withstand temperatures -10°C to 50°C.
Diesel Generator sets are notorious for their safety issues, such as fire hazards. Storing fuel for Generators in commercial premises can be hazardous, as it can lead to a fire in the premises, especially if the safety precautions taken are inadequate.
The ESS developed by Su-vastika is safe and has no fire risk as it runs on batteries and electronic and electrical equipment.
Technical glitches are not likely to occur. However, we are prepared for all types of situations.
In case a glitch does happen: Our Online monitoring solution will automatically be made aware of a failure, a customer call will be logged, and the service engineer will be informed with an automatic response system and will try to resolve the call ASAP
Our built-in Galvanic Isolation System protects against electric shock and suppresses any harmful electrical noise. Our ESS system also provides better power quality than what is received from the main supply. It is safe for the person operating it, even at an industrial establishment.
Our ESS has a high Crest Factor of 3:1, which means it can carry almost three times the more load for the High inrush current required by some heavy machinery or motors with very high surge current when starting for the first time.
The most extensive system we have is a single ESS of 500 KVA. This can be further augmented depending on individual requirements. It can quickly run a 1MW load if two units are installed on site. By distributing the load to multiple ESS systems, we can ensure that the ESS generates the required output voltage effectively and all your devices keep running in the event of a power failure.
When a ESS is connected to Wi-Fi, it gives the freedom to monitor and control ESS without being there in-person. Having the ability to monitor and control ESS via wi-fi was something that was an unheard-of feature.
Our ESS systems have Wi-Fi and GSM connectivity (Optional). Our application will monitor your ESS and send regular reports to Su-vastika technicians. In case of any issues, an automatic alert will be sent, and a service call will be made.
- Wi-fi features in ESS make it extremely easy for you to check the status of backup time along with load status, which will be shown on the screen (in wattage) so that you can check the consumption of each of your appliances.
- You can even constantly check the voltage coming to your home or office when the ESS is working on the grid or mains mode.
- In cases of voltage fluctuations, the ESS will protect the applications by switching on the battery mode, which can be easily viewable to the customer.
- You will not only be notified about alerts such as overload or short circuits on your app screen but also get timely recommendations for things you can do to resolve the situation.
- The power backup solution provided by Su-vastika has Wi-Fi and GSM connectivity (Optional). Our application will monitor your ESS and send regular reports to Su-vastika technicians. In case of any issues, an automatic alert will be sent, and a service call will be made.
- Our Online monitoring System will keep track of the Battery Bank usage and send an alert when the replacement of the battery bank is required (Optional).
Su-vastika brings in a Digital warranty for Inverters, a remarkable, revolutionary, and mindful innovation by Su-vastika Systems. Su-vastika’s Digital warranty is linked with the microprocessor in the PCB Mains card of its complete range of UPS.
The warranty shall start only when Inverter is connected to Battery, and when the Battery is disconnected from Inverter, the warranty stops. By linking the warranty with the microprocessor in the PCB card of the inverters, Su-vastika has found a unique way to ensure warranty coverage that aligns with the actual usage of the Inverter.
Flexibility to increase the backup time as per the changing need is important for many users, especially in the commercial sector.
By increasing backup time, users can match their changing needs without worrying about buying new power backup devices every time.
2 primary factors determine backup time: the total load of the machines that require backup and the backup duration, or in other words- the number of batteries to be installed.
To increase backup time:
- More batteries can be added, and the battery bank can be designed in parallel.
- Solar-generated power can be combined with the existing system.
Battery ESS by Su-vastika also comes with a solar feature allowing batteries to be charged using solar power. This way, the cost of the system can be recovered in just 2-3 years since the cost of power generation using Solar Panels is very low and they also last up to 25 years, which will further reduce the running costs.
The Solar-based ESS can be installed in various places where the space for solar panels is there, and solar can be properly utilized, and the cost to produce the electricity will be very low, there is no alternative to such a cheap electricity cost.
Battery charging will depend on the size of the solar panels installed and the size of the external solar charge controller. In this case, the Heavy-Duty behaves like an Off Grid Solar ESS, and it can cut off the mains supply and run completely on solar and batteries. This, Saves the cost of electricity, Increases the backup time, and Charges the batteries simultaneously.
Even if power is available on the grid, the solar-based system will be able to run by leveraging solar and battery power (when available), which will again save the cost of electricity.