Retrofit Lithium Batteries for Solar PV Hybrid Systems, Solar PCU Systems and Off-Grid Solar Systems: Opportunities and Considerations
Lithium Batteries are Revolutionizing Solar Storage Energy in India in a big way. What’s a Retrofit Lithium battery? This retrofit Lithium battery is a Lithium battery that can replace the existing Tubular Lead Acid or Gel battery installed with the existing inverters, UPS or Solar Systems without making any changes in the existing systems, and they are just plugged and play to replace the existing batteries. Retrofitting existing solar PCUs and inverters with lithium batteries is a growing trend driven by several factors:
Benefits of Lithium Batteries:
- Longer lifespan: Lithium batteries typically last 7 to 10 years, and Tubular lead-acid batteries last 2 to 3 years, reducing replacement costs as the headache of replacing batteries is also very high.
- Faster charging: The lithium batteries charge much faster, allowing for better solar energy utilisation during peak generation times. Meanwhile, lead acid takes 10 to 15 hours, which wastes a lot of solar energy. Solar PV is available for 5 hours only, and during that time, Lead acid is being charged only as the Lead Acid battery is of C20 capacity and can be charged with 10% of its capacity. But the Lithium battery, being the C1 capacity, can be charged at 50% of its total, which can be fully charged in 2 hours only, allowing the use of solar power after completely charging the Lithium-ion battery.
- Lighter weight and space saver: They are significantly lighter, making them easier to install and transport. The size is also almost one-sixth, which saves space as the real estate cost is very high these days.
- Deeper discharge: The Lithium is a C1 battery in capacity, and the Lead Acid batteries come in C10 and C20 capacity, which makes a massive difference in power if we draw higher wattage from the hail than the backup time. For example, if we install 150 Ah Lead Acid batteries for drawing a 600-watt load and, compared to 150 Ah Lithium batteries, we will get double the backup time. Lead Acid batteries cannot provide a backup time compared to Lithium-ion batteries. https://suvastika.com/can-we-install-lithium-ion-battery-with-existing-inverters/
- No maintenance: Lithium-ion batteries require no maintenance at all where, whereas lead-acid batteries require a lot of care as they need regular water topping and cleaning, which makes them a big headache for the user as it’s very tough to check the water level periodically and fill the distilled water.
- Pollution: Lead Acid batteries produce lead pollution, which is very dangerous for the user as the fumes harm human health.
- BMS: Lithium-ion batteries come with a battery management system, which controls the lithium-ion battery for many features. It’s an electronic control that controls the equalisation of lithium cells, short circuits, discharge, and charge current of the storm as per its capacity so that no misuse is possible. Whereas there is no control in the lead-acid batteries, and no equalization of cells is possible, charge-discharge abuse is possible, which makes it a very rudimental technology compared to Lithium-ion battery technology.
- Digital Warranty: The Su-vastika Lithium battery comes with a digital warranty in our BMS, which assures the user of the contract, which can be seen on mobile or computer in the digital form and does not need any paper to keep for warranty replacement. https://suvastika.com/invest-in-your-future-make-the-smart-choice-with-lithium-solar-batteries/
- Many existing solar systems are installed, creating a vast market for retrofitting.
- Growing environmental concerns and rising energy costs drive demand for energy storage solutions.
- Technological advancements are making lithium batteries more affordable and accessible.
- Compatibility: Ensure the chosen lithium battery is compatible with your existing inverter regarding voltage, charging profile, and communication protocols.
- Safety: Retrofit kits should be certified to meet safety standards and include features like overcharge and over-discharge protection.
- Cost: Lithium batteries may have a higher upfront cost than lead-acid alternatives while offering long-term benefits.
- Technical expertise: Retrofitting might require technical knowledge or assistance from a qualified installer.
Su-vastika is offering retrofit kits in 12V and 24V48V, having different capacities up to 200 Ah in the market, which are very small in size and a single unit, and you don’t need to install two or four batteries with the solar system.
Lithium Batteries are Revolutionizing Solar Storage Energy are the right choice as most of the existing systems have already started shifting to this technology.
The retrofit lithium battery market is expected to continue growing as the benefits of lithium technology become more widely recognized and costs decrease. If you’re considering retrofitting your 12V,24V and 48V solar system with a lithium battery, carefully research the available options, ensure compatibility, and weigh the costs and benefits before deciding.